Saturday, July 9, 2011

Playdough

I love getting in the kitchen and this morning I was marvelling over just how many things you can create with 1 packet of flour. I think the 3kg of flour was around $3.70 and with that 1 packet I have made 6 bread rolls to have with soup, pastry to use with apple and rhubarb to make a pie and this morning some playdough and the packet is still going.

I've had this playdough recipe since before we got married, a family friend gave it to me at my kitchen tea. This morning was the first time I've used it...pretty bad considering we've been married 5 years.

Anyway, I made 2 batches, 1 yellow and 1 blue and I got a good 25 mins out of Master 1 which isn't bad considering he much prefers to terrorise and pull apart the house. Did you know if you don't have creme of tartar you can substitute it for white vinegar or lemon juice. I substituted it for lemon juice this morning and the result was perfect.

The recipe is 1 cup of plain flour, 1/2 cup salt, 2 tablespoons creme of tartar, 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon cooking oil and food colouring. I mixed the food colouring in with the water and oil and lemon juice (instead of creme of tartar) and then mixed the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients on medium heat on the stove. You just mix the ingredients together until the salt has disolved into the flour and the mixture becomes pileable a bit like playdough should, and then you are done. I then let cool and kneaded it a little before giving to the kids.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder how a gluten free version would go. I suspect not very well lol. Yours looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete